Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A new kind of research!


       The research process we’re using in class is a lot different than how I usually approach research, mainly because I usually use Google for most of my research. Since I’m just a freshman, I’ve only had to write a couple papers so far that I had to have scholarly resources for, and even then I just used academic source complete. Before this class I didn’t know about all the subject specific guides and databases, and I think those will help a lot with research in the future. I also didn’t know I could narrow down my search so finely (only academic journals, only from certain times, etc…), so that will help, too. I’m also not used to having to use specific keywords in my research because the couple times I’ve used Galileo I’ve only had to use an author and the title of their book, or I just use Google, but for this research question I’m actually having to pick out keywords and refine my search.

       The online library is still confusing to me; I’m still not totally comfortable using the UWG Library Catalogue, Galileo, or the Research and Citation Guides. I think we’re doing a good job covering it all in class, though, and I’m sure it’ll get easier with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment