Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Presearch"


       “Presearch” helped me to come to the topic I’m at now: labor conditions in export processing zones. I started off wanting to research why America’s life expectancy has went down compared to other developed countries, but my “presearch” revealed that there was way too much information on that subject and too many aspects to approach. Background searching in Galileo and the UWG Library Catalogue helped me to narrow down my topic more and to see what information there was available on my topic. It also helped me find more keywords to use in my research. I still have to narrow my current topic down a lot, and Professor Walsh’s feedback on the topic selection worksheet helped with that. I’ve decided to either focus on women in export processing zones or compare China, which has benefitted from EPZs, and Namibia, which has very bad working conditions and hasn’t seen much growth from EPZs. Even those seem broad, though, so I’ll probably still have to narrow it down some more.

       I checked out Women in the Global Factory by Annette Fuentes & Barbara Ehrenreich from the library. Call number HD6223.F841983

2 comments:

  1. It seems like your topic is really coming together. I agree with you 100%, Professor Walsh's feedback was fairly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic is very interesting! I had no idea that this was what you were focusing on. From what it sounds like, you did start off with an extremely broad topic but you are really narrowing it down into something you can really hone in on. I can't wait to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete