Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Special Collections


         I really enjoyed the lady from Special Collections that came to talk to us in class today. She was very informative and I learned a lot (since I didn’t know anything about Special Collections to begin with!). For my research topic for this class I’m not sure if there’s anything in Special Collections that I’ll need, but for classes such as my history class I’m excited to start making use of the Special Collections. In my history class we talk a lot about the different wars that have taken place and a lot about civil rights and slavery, and I think it would be neat to see what kinds of letters, pictures, pamphlets, newspapers, and other documents Special Collections has from those periods. What’s better than a first-hand source?? That’s one really cool thing about Special Collections: it holds sources from actual people and events. Books and articles are good sources, but the things held in Special Collections sound much more interesting. Even if it’s not for a class it’s just for me in my spare time I would love to go check out the Special Collections and see what it has to offer.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah I also agree with you before this presentation I had no clue as to what was really on the lower level of the library. I think it is wonderful that you are going to cross reference what you have learned in one class with what you have learned in another I hope you are very successful in your findings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered what was on the bottom floor of the library! i had no idea we had a special collections area. I agree with you, when it comes to writing history papers, this will be the best place to go for citing and facts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah I agree with you 100% about the special collection. I think its interesting how far they can date back, and hold vast amount of information about any person, place, thing or event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Glenda (who encountered a problem posting her comment):

    Hi Sarah my name is Glenda. I hope you get a chance to use special collections. There is so much useful information in that department you will spend hours and days if you ever go there. I worked on my family history and it was so useful in my endeavor.

    ReplyDelete