Thursday, January 31, 2013

Research Topic/Resources


          After doing more detailed research, I’ve narrowed down my research topic: How does education, and the lack thereof, affect life expectancy in America? I'm going to see how the life expectancy of people with little education (less than a high school diploma) compares to that of people with a high school diploma and how that compares to people with a college education.

 
          On GIL-Find, I didn’t really find too many books that seemed relevant to my research. The most helpful sounding one I found is The New Worklife Expectancy Tables: By Gender, Level of Educational Attainment, and Level of Work Disability by Anthony Gamboa. I think looking at the educational attainment section would be a good source of info for my research. The book is at Georgia State University, though, so I’d have to request it first. But besides this book, the other books I found didn't seem to focus much on the educational aspect of life expectancy. I tried key words such as “life expectancy,” “education,” and “effects of education on life expectancy,” but I didn’t get much. Most of the books focused on the health related aspects of life expectancy.

 
          For primary sources of information I could probably use records from places such as the United States Census Bureau.

2 comments:

  1. you have a very interesting topic. i wonder this as some countries with better education seem to live longer. Its interesting to see countries like Japan with the most "Centenials" (people living past 100) in their country.

    i think life expectancy also correlates with finances as people with the resources will get the help whereas those without insurance might not be able to diagnose things sooner.

    great topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could use Economics to help. I took a class and we went over the statistics to people who had certain degrees and the income difference. Then with another source i wonder if you would be able to talk about how having more money allows people the opportunity to eat healthier, therefore live longer. Maybe focus on, with more money, people are able to invest in healthier lifestyle due to having an better education. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I wish the best on your research.

    ReplyDelete